Go For Your Life Kitchen Garden
Growing, Harvesting, Preparing and Sharing
There are four integral parts to the Kitchen Garden Program—growing, harvesting, preparing and sharing food. We have timetabled into the curriculum a regular gardening and cooking session for the years 3-6.
Benefits For Our Students.
- Provide a strong positive healthy lifestyle message and practical strategies for lifelong healthy living choices.
- Allow interesting physical activity whilst working in the garden.
- Enhance learning in a practical environment—measuring weights, following instructions and vocabulary and language skills.
- Build self esteem and confidence, improve social skills and provide a sense of achievement.
- By working with and tasting new things, we hope to build acceptance and value other cultures.
- Allow our children to work with and value volunteers.
How It Works
Children spend one and a half hours per week in the kitchen preparing and sharing meals created from their produce. Along with our Program Coordinator, Sam Penrey, many dedicated and enthusiastic volunteers help with both cooking and gardening.